This page details the steps to create a complex segment that includes groupings.
- Click the Segmentation link on the left-hand menu of Engage.
Result: The Segmentation page opens.
- Click the New Segment button on the top right of the Segmentation page.
Result: The Add New Segment wizard page displays.
- In the Segment Name field, enter the name that you would like to assign to the new segment.
Note: If you would like to exit the Add New Segment wizard without assigning a segment name, click the Cancel button in the top left of the screen.
- In the Segment Builder section, click the arrow next to Data Source to open a drop-down list, where you can select your whether to start your segment based on Attributes or List Affiliation.
Note: Attributes include any attribute you've previously uploaded with a subscriber list. The Lists dropdown only displays active Lists to select from.
- If choosing an Attribute, move to the Select Attribute drop-down list and select the specific attribute that you wish to use to begin to define your segment.
- From the is equal to drop-down list, select your logic option.
Note: This selection helps you to define what you are looking for in your target group. Logic options include:
- is equal to
- is not equal to
- is greater than
- is greater than or equal to
- is less than
- is less than or equal to
- begins with
- ends with
- does not contain
- In the blank field after the logic option, enter the value which completes your segment criteria statement.
- If choosing to segment on a List Affiliation, select either Is member of or Is not member of, and then select the List to segment on from the drop-down. This drop-down will show all active Lists existing for your Engage instance.
To add another rule to your segment, click New Rule.
Result: A second row of fields displays.
- To choose whether your rule should have the or Or relationship with the new rule, click the button next to the word you want.
Result: The selected word button will turn a shade darker.
- Define your rule using the fields provided.
Note: You may continue to add rules using the New Rule link.
- To add a group for especially complex and/or comparisons, click New Group.
Result: A new group with one rule to fill in will appear, indented to the right under the previous Rule.
Note: Shaded and non-shaded boxes will help distinguish which rules are joined together to create groups.
- Continue to add rules and groups until you have defined your segment.
- Click the Test Segment button in the upper right to run the segmentation rule against your subscriber data and generate a count of the number of subscribers contained in your new segment.
The number of subscribers on the Segment will display under the Segment Builder heading.
Note: After you have generated the number of subscribers in the segment, you can save the segment and download the subscribers and review those in the segment to ensure that the segmentation rule worked correctly.
- Click Save & Exit to save the segmentation information entered.
Result: The Segmentation table will be displayed with your newly created segment in the listing.